Monday, March 20, 2006

Keeping it Kitzer

My first 2 comments were tombs... I'm going to need to learn to keep things kitzur (short, to the point). Anyway, Just wanted to update, my 8:30 am interview went really well. I wasn't so sure about it though until after I unmasked what was a little confusion. You see, I was under the impression, and still am, that I was looking to enter the Mechina (1 year pre-smicha prep) program. Apparently, the Rav. thought that I was trying to enter the first year of the smicha program right away in the fall without doing mechina. He tried to let me down gently that I just wasn't ready. That I showed intellegence and competency with comprehention, but simply lacked fluidity and skills with the anchient aramaic. He asured me that with lots and lots of hard work it MIGHT be possible for me to be ready for the fall, but expressed dought, and was unready to recomend it. Of course, I still thought he was talking about the mechina program, my heart dropped and I thought that another door was closing. Then he told me his recomendation, keep working on my skills now and over the summer, and come do the mechina program. If I could afford (time wise) the extra year, he said, it would really be much better for me. Let's just say I'm still kvelling even now 20 min later.

I still have the formal application to do, but with a very solid bechina (for the mechina level) behind me, and comeing "highly recomended" as I've been told I do, Yeshivat Chovevei Torah may just become my home for the next 5 years... Wow, that's a long time to live in NYC. (I'm not a big fan of the city to put it mildly...) Ok... time to catch a quick hour nap before my 9 hour shift at work. Speaking of which, I believe I have a 2 week notice to submit... That's going to feel really good...

1 comment:

Avi said...

Good luck. I live in Jerusalem and I might be jealous of you. I too don't like NYC but am kicking myself 7 years later (eek, was it not that long) for not applying to the joint program between Columbia and the Jewish Theological Seminary for the sole reason that I didn't want to be in New York.