Friday, March 31, 2006

Oo'Knai Lecha Chaver



The 6th Mishna in Perkei Avot (R' Yehoshua ben Perachyah) enjoys all of us "Aseh Lecha Rav, Oo'Knai Lecha Chaver, v'Hevei Dan Et Kol Ha'Adam L'Chaf Zchut." Make for yourslef a teacher, aquire for yourself a friend, and judge everyone favorably.

It seems that as of late, I've been spending a lot of time on the first part of that statement as I've faced the tough decision of which rabbinic school to enroll in. However, the next part of the statement is equally important, and I just wanted to share with you an example of just how good of a friend I have.

Tonight is Shabbat, tonight is also when an NCSYer of mine who got into the University of Rochester (where I attend) is coming to visit me for the weekend and check out the school. Here's the problem. His only mode of transportation here from Buffalo NY (over an hour away) would not allow him to arrive prior to Shabbat. Upon hearing this, my good friend Levi Yitzchak (named after R' Levi Yitzchak of Berditchev, so I guess this really isn't such a suprise) aka, Lev, immediatly declared his intent to drive the 2.5 hour round trip to pick up my NCSYer from Buffalo before Shabbat, despite his already hecktic pre-Shabbat schedual. He asks nothing in return, no gas, no tolls, and doesn't want any recognition. Yet, HaKaret HaTov is needed, so I'm doing it here, on a blog that affords him some anonymity, and at the very least, I happen to know he doesn't read it, since he doesn't spend his time online in that fashion. (No Facebook, No Forums, Stricktly Business) His only reason for doing it is his love for Am Yisrael, and for Shabbat, and out of his friendship for me. He is my soon to be Chavruta, my Friend, my Confidant, and a Roll Model. A man whom, dispite my best efforts to employ the Judge everyone favorably part of that same Mishna, I just can't hold him in any higher esteem then I already do.
I'm sure going to miss seeing him every Shabbos next year.

Oh well... Shabbat is Coming... Kol Tuv, Peace

No comments: